So, why am I nervous to give you this recipe? Well, read on... We spend Christmas Eve with my family. This year we decided to have a very casual dinner since we were all going to have a traditional Christmas dinner on Christmas day. We thought this would be more relaxing and fun. We decided to make big sandwiches and all the sides that come with them. I offered to make potato salad, thinking that I would wow everyone with this delicious twist on an old classic. Then as I was writing out my shopping list The Chef saw what I was making and dropped the bombshell that HE DOESN'T LIKE ROASTED POTATO SALAD!!! I was seriously shocked. What's not to like?
I decided to make it anyway figuring he's just weird and everyone else would love it. So I made it and brought it and everyone HATED it. I couldn't believe it. So why am I posting it here? Well, as it's several weeks after Christmas you can see that I wrestled with whether or not to post it. I finally decided to put it up because IT'S DELICIOUS AND THEY'RE ALL CRAZY. And I thought one of you might really like it. I mean, just look at the ingredients... that's all good stuff! My aunt said she didn't like the potatoes being roasted and it was throwing her off. I certainly understand when you expect one thing and get another you won't be satisfied until you get what you want. But, I'm telling you, this is too good to pass up. Try it, and if you hate it I'll accept that I am, in fact, the weird one, but if you love it as much as I do then my suspicions that they're all weird will be confirmed!
So, um, enjoy?!?
- 6 large Baking potatoes
- 1 small Red onion
- 1 lb Bacon
- 1 small bunch Parsley, stemmed and finely chopped
- 2 C Mayonnaise
- 1/2 C Dijon Mustard
- 1/2 C Brown Sugar, sifted
- 1 t Vinegar
- 1 T Balsamic Vinegar
- 1 T Garlic, minced
- Salt and Pepper to taste
- dice potatoes into bite sized pieces; season with salt and pepper and coat in olive oil
- roast at 350 F on a parchment lined sheet pan or a non-stick pan until the edges are golden brown and crispy and the insides are fork tender; cool completely
- while the potatoes roast, finely dice the red onion and the parsley
- cook the bacon until very crisp; dab off excess grease with paper towels and finely chop
- while the bacon cooks, mix together mayo, mustard, brown sugar, vinegar, balsamic vinegar, garlic and salt and pepper; set aside
- toss together the onion, parsley, potatoes and bacon; then toss with the dressing; season as needed